Normally this process works without any issue. The problem I get was that the windows 2003 server has lost additional ip configuration in the network card. This was cause windows finding out that the ip are in use by other card and were having a problem with setting them up on the vmware network card. I had to use the process below to find out old physical network card and remove them from the system. Once this has been completed old Windows Server 2003 did not complain any longer.
The other issue I have also noticed was that the server lost some SSL configuration and I need to redo them again.
Open command line the follow the below
· Run command prompt with administrator privilege.
· perform “set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1”.
· perform “start devmgmt.msc” to start device manager MMC snap-in.
· Click “Show hidden devices” on the View menu in Device Managers ,so that you should see the old devices that are not connected to the computer.
· remove the old NIC form network adapters category.